Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Capítulo 1/ Chapter 1

¡Hola!

Let me introduce myself--I'm Pandita. A former NYC high school teacher turned full time mom. I'm dedicating a year of my life to my son, Baby B, and staying home to mold him into the most fabuloso baby since Little Ricky on I Love Lucy.

My poet husband and I both speak English and Spanish--somos nativos.  He's an Argentino from Brooklyn/Miami and I'm a Chicana from L.A.

We are both teachers by trade and recognize the importance of literacy in a baby's life. I taught Spanish and he taught English in the NYC school system for 9 years collectively. We plan on passing on our linguistic herencia to our babe, thus we have started a strict regiment with Baby B already.

His first outing was to the Santa Monica Public Library and our daily routine includes libros, Wee baby flashcards, canciones, and mental lagartijas (push-ups) in both English and Spanish. Dora la Exploradora's got nothing on Baby B.

This blog will document my experiences involving motherhood, marriage, and being a Chicana mom in L.A. Maybe we'll even get some exposure because I couldn't find any gente de color on any mommy blogger sites.

Follow along and enjoy this bilingual baby bonanza.  ¡Orale!

Pandita

2 comments:

  1. My fellow amiga. I am such a proud Chicana and especially after reading your wonderful new blog! I don't have children yet, however, I feel it is very important to continue our heritage and our culture, especially Language! to our little ones.
    My personal experience, as a child, is I learned Spanish only and then English in school. My father mostly would only allow me to speak Spanish at home and English outside. The teenage years were harder for me.

    Sorry I cannot be more of mommy help but I support you! You Go GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhh panda! and baby panda too :)
    can't wait to hear your adventures!

    ReplyDelete