Friday, September 24, 2010

Capítulo 3/ Chapter 3 Baby B A True Americano

I've been thinking about what it means to raise a bilingual baby.

Not only is he the product of a teacher/panda/pendeja + teacher/poet/vagabond, he also has to grapple with the fact that he comes from perfection. I am what you would call Mexican-American--a Chicana while my husband is Argentine-American--Argentino by way of Miami.

You could say that Baby B is a true Americano. I mean, my familia has been part of the Americas since my tatara-abuelos 5x removed came over from Espana and hooked up with my Indio counterparts. My husband's familia can trace its' roots back to Quechua speaking peeps and he's also Italian/Lebanese. So what is Baby B going to say he is?

I'll tell him he's the real thing. His roots have been here for hundreds of years. Plus he represents  the North and the South, what son! I'm teaching him to throw his N and S signs right now.

Will he identify with other Latino kids? What unites us here in the U.S.? What makes us "hispanic" or "latino"? I've made a short list of ideas...

Chanclaphobia? Everyone who's crossed their mamacita the wrong way know the wrath of the chancla. However, my husband and I have a NO Spanking policy since graduating from the Harlem Children's Zone's Baby College. Plus I want Baby B to know that I am the boss without having to exert any effort--just a look or an eyebrow raising.

Familia-itis? Part of my husband's familia lives in Miami but the majority of my husband's family lives in Argentina. So the only flare up of famila-itis that he may encounter is from my side. I'm an only child but I have enough tias, tios, primos and primas to fill a mariachi festival. (Familia-itis does not include an endless love of and devotion to LA ABUELA)

El cucuy? Now this one if definitely someone that NO baby in el norte or sur de america will mess with. Misbehave and the boogeyman is going to come get you.

Ritmo--Rhythm? I don't know the exact figures, but I think it would be safe to say that at least 90% of latinos can dance. I know that every familia latina has at least one rogue family member that can't dance. The odds of Baby B being rhythmless are very slim. Both my husband and I have been known to start a conga-line, dance-off, or soul train line so I think my son is in the clear.

This list is endless, but I know that raising a bilingual baby of Mexican and Argentine descent is something special. Hopefully Baby B will learn about where he comes from and say it with orgullo.

He's an Americano Verdadero.

No comments:

Post a Comment